The Early Childhood Development (ECD) program combines classroom study and field experience with children birth to eight years of age. Students gain an understanding of the social, emotional, intellectual, and physical growth and development of all children within an inclusive environment. An associate degree and two certificate options are available in this program.
- Students need good written and oral communication skills.
- Students should enjoy working with young children.
- Students required to take remedial courses must follow the UACCM Student Success Plan.
- Students should take classes when first offered as some classes are only offered certain semesters.
- The Early Childhood Development Student Organization awards a scholarship to an outstanding student in the program each semester.
Graduates are employed as:
- Child care facility owners and directors
- Child care center directors
- Head Start teachers
- Infant/toddler teachers
- Preschool teachers
- Assistant teachers
- Arkansas Better Chance preschool paraprofessionals
Graduates completing the associate degree may also continue on to a Bachelor of Science degree through a partnership with the University of Central Arkansas.
- Clean criminal background check
- Clean child maltreatment check
- FBI background check (if an Arkansas resident for less than six years)
- Some courses require recent influenza immunization and TB test.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and stand for prolonged periods of time.